Jamaican Blue Mountain "Ms Tita" Small Farmers

Origin: Jamaica

Region: Davis Hill, St Andrews Parish

Estate: Various Smallholder Estates

Owner: Smallfarmers Coffee Ltd

Elevation:  1030masl

Crop Year: 2019/20

Varietal: Typica

Grade: Grade 1

Cetification: Jacra

Processing: Washed

Cupping Notes: Complex and well balanced acidity, sweet notes of Caramel & Lemon citrus softening into milk chocolate and subtle nut flavours. Medium length clean finish.

Jamaican Blue Mountain "Ms Tita" Small Farmers

£75.00Price
  • Community is at the heart of everything we do, inspired by my grandma Ms Tita we are carrying on her legacy. We aren't like other coffee companies; we don't just source our coffee from farmers; we are the farmers!

    Our purpose is to reduce the supply chain to as few people as possible, meaning the farmers are the ones who benefit from the sale of their coffee. So, every bean you buy from us improves the lives of our cooperative. 

    How do we produce? We are currently recording each of our smallholding’s farmers unique and fascinating stories and we will be publishing them as soon as recording is completed The Ms Tita family is made up of 27 coffee farmers from the blue mountain region in Jamaica. We work as a cooperative making sure that our beans go direct from the fields to the roastery and then to the customers. We only work with smallholder farmers with the promise to get them the best price for their incredible product.

    We establish long term relationships with buyers and customers and give a level of transparency that is unique in our industry. To ensure our farmers are supported, we partner with various organisations to educate our farmers on environmental issues, wildlife preservation, growing techniques and even financial advice with access to funding. We aim to reduce all our farmers' use of chemicals and move towards more organic cultivation. Ultimately this all to ensure our cooperative has sustainable businesses and reap the benefits of this rare and exclusive product. We also arrange meet the farmers guided tour of our farms to anyone visiting Jamaica Collectively we can all make a difference by spreading the stories of Blue Mountain coffee and Ms Tita and our promise to you is to give complete transparency in how we grow and support our farmers. Change a farmer's life and buy some coffee with purpose! 

    What is Blue mountain coffee? - Coffee was introduced to the island of Jamaica in 1728; the tiny island only ranks #43 on the list of top coffee-producing countries. Their crops supply only a meagre .01% of the world’s total coffee beans, pretty astounding when you consider just how sought after the Jamaican Blue Mountain product is. It is worth noting, however, that not all Jamaican coffee is considered to be of the Blue Mountain variety, and there are extensive guidelines put in place to differentiate it from other coffee crops grown around the island. Three things make Blue mountain coffee different from any other coffee grown on the island... 1. Jamaican Blue Mountain beans have to be grown along the beautiful Blue Mountain ridge. Located on the east side of the country, it’s the longest mountain range on the island, and it runs through several different parishes. 2. All Jamaican Blue Mountain must be grown within the parishes of St. Andrew, St. Mary, St. Thomas, or Portland parishes. Coffee beans harvested elsewhere are excluded from the esteemed classification. 3.  JBM beans must be grown between altitudes of 3000-5000 feet above sea level. Anything grown at a different elevation doesn’t make the grade. Most coffee grown around the world is on flat land, but Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is grown high up in the Blue Mountain Ridge. This means tending to the crops and harvesting is very difficult and can even be dangerous. Because of the challenges for farmers the coffee isn’t grown in high numbers, Jamaica only produces about 4-5 million pounds a year, which isn’t a lot when you consider that other countries can easily cultivate ten times that much in a typical growing season. Of what is grown, 80% of that is exported to Japan. The remaining 20% is what’s left for the rest of the world. In 1728 The Governor of Jamaica received a coffee plant from the Governer of Martinique. 9 years later, the first coffee was exported, and Blue Mountain coffee was born. Still today, it is one of the only coffees worldwide to be packed in the iconic wooden barrels. Blue Mountain coffee is renowned worldwide for its scarcity and exclusivity, as well as unique taste. Demand is high as coffee connoisseurs marvel at its distinct flavour. The location of Blue Mountain, north of Kingston, has rich soil and perfect conditions for the Arabica coffee to thrive in. The misty cloud protects the mountainside from the scorching midday sun, with daily temperatures hitting 36 degrees.

  • What is Blue mountain coffee? - Coffee was introduced to the island of Jamaica in 1728; the tiny island only ranks #43 on the list of top coffee-producing countries. Their crops supply only a meagre .01% of the world’s total coffee beans, pretty astounding when you consider just how sought after the Jamaican Blue Mountain product is. It is worth noting, however, that not all Jamaican coffee is considered to be of the Blue Mountain variety, and there are extensive guidelines put in place to differentiate it from other coffee crops grown around the island. Three things make Blue mountain coffee different from any other coffee grown on the island... 1. Jamaican Blue Mountain beans have to be grown along the beautiful Blue Mountain ridge. Located on the east side of the country, it’s the longest mountain range on the island, and it runs through several different parishes. 2. All Jamaican Blue Mountain must be grown within the parishes of St. Andrew, St. Mary, St. Thomas, or Portland parishes. Coffee beans harvested elsewhere are excluded from the esteemed classification. 3.  JBM beans must be grown between altitudes of 3000-5000 feet above sea level. Anything grown at a different elevation doesn’t make the grade. Most coffee grown around the world is on flat land, but Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is grown high up in the Blue Mountain Ridge. This means tending to the crops and harvesting is very difficult and can even be dangerous. Because of the challenges for farmers the coffee isn’t grown in high numbers, Jamaica only produces about 4-5 million pounds a year, which isn’t a lot when you consider that other countries can easily cultivate ten times that much in a typical growing season. Of what is grown, 80% of that is exported to Japan. The remaining 20% is what’s left for the rest of the world. In 1728 The Governor of Jamaica received a coffee plant from the Governer of Martinique. 9 years later, the first coffee was exported, and Blue Mountain coffee was born. Still today, it is one of the only coffees worldwide to be packed in the iconic wooden barrels. Blue Mountain coffee is renowned worldwide for its scarcity and exclusivity, as well as unique taste. Demand is high as coffee connoisseurs marvel at its distinct flavour. The location of Blue Mountain, north of Kingston, has rich soil and perfect conditions for the Arabica coffee to thrive in. The misty cloud protects the mountainside from the scorching midday sun, with daily temperatures hitting 36 degrees.

Green Beans Supplier

02037458918

The Coffee Hub, Semley Business Park, Shaftesbury, SP7 9AN